This project is a yearlong online written and visual document of my voyage towards completion of my MFA at School of the Art Institute of Chicago in May 2011.

RYTHM33, April 8th, 2010

RYTHM33, April 8th, 2010
photo:Miao Jiaxin

Friday, April 30, 2010

SEVEN: fatigue/excess/reality













For Piano and Beuys,
February 2010,
@Uncommon Territories,
Heaven Gallery


photo Younghwan Choi

Don't you just love Art School.

I do! I do!I do!I do!!!!!

Waking up in sickly sweat, to a sound of a deep male voice somewhere right near my left ear. Nobody is in the room.... heart pounding hard, eyes blinking strenuously, ears extended. What is it? Anxiety. Whatever for?Lights on.It turns out to be a giant buzzing black bumble bee, visiting my bedroom. I chase it out the open window. My furry visitor flies lazily away from me, buzzing into the fresh night.

Definitions have dissolved, form is dead, ideas are in excess, time is scarce, body-lucid exhaustion. Where did the weekend go and why don't I have a weekend? What is a weekend? Is it the end of the week or the beginning ?

Want to buy Gregg
Bordowitz's book of questions,"Volition" from which he read at Outerspace last Sunday.

"Published by Printed Matter, Volition consists entirely of questions and contains 142 pages of active, mind-bending engagement with the reader, who is led down paths of inquiry involving art, meaning, philosophy, choice, happiness, and identity.
Bordowitz organizes his questions into lists, paragraphs, and stanzas, which are themselves organized into five chapters: Questions, Topics, Aesthetics, Beliefs, and Morals. The resulting text is something like a spiritual guide crossed with an epic poem crossed with a transcription of the meandering thoughts of a philosophic insomniac, kept awake by such questions as "How can I touch creation as a principle without reproach?" and "How does gratitude unfold from virtue?" Printed Matter, Inc website

Live Lecture today at AIC:

Michael Fried

Books I couldn't afford, but bought anyway at the Art
Institute's Museum's bookshops:

Michael Fried "Why photography matters as art as never before"
Yayoi Kusama "Mirrored Years"

Bargain table!!!! - Annette Messager, "Word for Word"

Papa on
skype. He told me I do everything in excess. Absolutely everything.
All or nothing at all.

Go towards my fears:

*Fear of Piano?

*Fear of knives. Collect 1000 knives. Cover your naked self with them and sit in a corner of a space for 3 hours.

*Find a space. Cover half of the floor of the space with knives, half of the floor with white rice paper. Walk on the knives. Then walk on paper, leaving
bloodmarks.

*Create a knife sculpture out of the 1000 knives collected.

*When collecting, document where each knife was found or bought and when.

*Series of knife cuttings/ drawings on paper.

*Fear of my body letting go of it's controlled functions. Peeing on my self in public:Action: water. drink. pee. 4 hours. installation.drink.pee.drink.pee.long table. water bottles. large glass water containers.pee into the containers. sound of peeing amplified by microphones and speakers.bright lights.

*Fear of being touched by complete strangers. small upright body container/booth for two people made out of metal and Plexiglas. I stand in it. one person at a time is invited to stand with me inside it. very closely to me, touching my body with their body.

*Kiss me in
Chicago.
kissing booth performance. fear of intimacy?

*peep show booth. drop a quarter. I will show you art.

*Artists don't do sport.
do sport:
badminton. make two giant rackets, giant ball. net.Inside a gallery. Invite audience to play with you.

badminton.
tennis.
swimming.
running - treadmill in the gallery.

*Fear of team sports. Volleyball with soft large furry balls. silk net.Inside a gallery.

table tennis.

Traditional Russian childhood sporting attempts:


ice skating
(broke right wrist. broke left elbow.)
gymnastics.
ballroom dancing. (could never follow partner and repeat steps without making them up each time. )
ballet (pronounced ballerina as barelina. actually dreamed of being one. hated the training and repetition of steps, but loved the music and the stretching.to this day can do splits and many ballet steps easily.)


Untitled,
April 18th 2010
@SAIC performance space