This project is a yearlong online written and visual document of my voyage towards completion of my MFA at School of the Art Institute of Chicago in May 2011.

RYTHM33, April 8th, 2010

RYTHM33, April 8th, 2010
photo:Miao Jiaxin

Sunday, September 12, 2010

TWENTY EIGHT: SHALL WE SLOW DANCE

Invitation to slow dance, 2010, Katya Grokhovsky
photo: Andrew Green


Invitation to slow dance, 2010, Katya Grokhovsky
photo: Andrew Green

Invitation to slow dance, 2010, Katya Grokhovsky
Photo: Nicholas Foster

Dance.

Let me come out of the closet and Dance. If I wasn't doing this....I would be? Perhaps...

let's possibly do it. let's try, let's tremble. let's slow slow dance tonight. Would you like to slow dance? Sadness suddenly pinches and tugs annoyingly at my heart of hearts. Holding the soft smile. rejected? would you like to slow dance? No? I won't pressure you. Please? How do you dance this? Follow me. Do you dance with females as well? Will you be the man or will I be the man? Just follow me, there is no man. I will lead you, put your hand in mine. trust me, you will be fine, it's very easy, very. Your hand on my waist, you are a man. I hug your shoulder. do you always lead? Always. The music is kind of terrible.. Is it? It's romantic. yes. It's romantic. Emotional and romantic. Embarrassing? Emotional? I don't feel anything. It's sort of well, cheesy. Cheesy, what an interesting concept. yes. cheesy. You know, when I lived in the Cheesy country of soviet union, I never thought something could be cheesy, the concept dissolved inside the large cheese itself. Now? let me dive into the idea. The distance between us is so small. the distance between us . Faces, skin tone, texture, glasses shimmering, eyes blinking, eyelashes, pores. hello, I'm Jason. You all right. yes, great. My breasts touching the torsos. facing the distance. Tango? let's tango a little. How do you tango? Dramatic gestures, this is a socially awkward situation...Social slow dance. I had no idea you are able to talk during this. No steps? Thank you . Thank you for the dance. this is like, kind of in the end of those movies..yes. movies. not life? No. There is never a slow dance at the end. I have never danced like this before. It's not really a dance, is it? I have no idea what I am actually doing, at all. Is this "my way" in Italian? I think it's in Spanish. Let's dance to it. ...Sorry, I think I stepped on your feet, I'm so sorry. never mind, it's part of it. This is so much fun and it's also kind of hard. yes, it's harder than I thought. Trying to be natural and working at it, working at being natural...Unnatural exhaustion, stilettos. Smile and move on. This is the performance? really? I don't ..oh hang on..I get it. I do, I do. Wonderfully subtle. This might be coming from your heart..oh...oh....yes, perhaps it is. It is.